Robot welders for Caterpillar
- Motoman Robotics has received an order for the supply of three robotic arc welding cells to the ulwell, Nottinghamshire works of Caterpillar, the US onstruction plant manufacturing giant.
- Three gantry-type cells are to be delivered by the end of June having been ordered as recently as April.
- Two will be identical, each comprising two 6m gantries carrying two six-axis UP6 welding robots apiece with vertical z-axis movement, together with a 2t servo manipulator.
- A total of eight welding robots will thus be deployed on manufacturing the frame of the legendary backhoe loader.
- The third gantry welding cell, and again with two inverted UP6 robots, but this time equipped with a two-station, 3t-capacity positioner, is for production of subassemblies for the same product.
- Turnkey responsibility for the project is with Comau, the Motoman equipment using automated guided vehicles for transporting the tack-welded assembles to the arc welding cells.