A manufacturer of sinks needed a robotic system to remove resin flash. Sample sinks were sent to RobotWorx' facility to test the application's feasibility. Not only was a solution possible, RobotWorx built a custom workcell that effectively trimmed the molding flash and exceeded the customer's cycle time, quality, configuration, needs.
See a video of the final robotic cutting system!
- EOAT: The company required a smooth, cosmetic, and consistent cut. They hoped to achieve a consistent, reliable robotic trimming solution that could be used for a number of different sinks.
RobotWorx found the right spindle to cut the resin mold flash and integrated a robotic system that would provide the quality and efficiency necessary for the application.
- The Right Robotic Arm: The robot had to have a work envelope that could access two trimming stations while maintaining proper spindle orientation. It was also required to provide quick cycle times and excellent repeatability.
- Specific Cell Design Criteria: The finished robotic cutting cell had to accommodate two stations and a means to load and unload them, provide room for the robot to maneuver, and allow for maintenance/programming access.
- Low-Cost System: The sink manufacturing company was interested in RobotWorx' reconditioned robot models. It needed a robotic system that would maintain quality standards while staying within a specific dollar range.
- Safety: As with every robotic solution, the trimming workcell had to be constructed in such a way that took equipment and worker safety into consideration.
- FANUC R-2000iA Robot -- RobotWorx chose a reconditioned R-2000iA robot to keep overall system costs down and provide the work envelope and performance necessary for the application/cell configuration. The fully reconditioned FANUC R-2000iA offered 6-axis flexibility, a 2650mm horizontal reach, and 165kg payload capacity. econditioned 6-axis robot with large reach and 165kg payload capacity. The large material handling robot moves with speed and accuracy, providing +/-0.2mm repeatability.
- FANUC RJ3iB -- The FANUC R-2000iA is equipped with an RJ3iB controller and teach pendant for user-friendly programming and advanced movement control.
- Robotic Spindle EOAT -- In order to achieve the right trimming performance, RobotWorx integrated a new electric spindle package. The water-cooled robotic EOAT was 20HP and capable of up to 8,000 RPM. The EOAT package included a variable frequency drive, manual arbor, plug and cable, mount bracket, junction box.
- Cutting Cell Design and Safety Package -- The robotic cutting system included a complete safety enclosure. Steel mesh fencing panels with clear plastic lining each panel surrounded the robot and its two 4' x 2.5' cutting tables. Two openings allowing access to each of the two tables were protected with automatic vertical doors with electric interlocks. An entry door at the back of the cell was equipped with a safety interlock. This door was designed to allow programmers and maintenance workers to enter the cell with ease. A zone ring was put on the robot to signal when the door was active.
- Operator Station -- The operator station is attached to the outside of the cell. It provides easy access to safety and control commands including: Start, Thumbwheel selection switches for multiple job calls, E-stop, Servo-On, Hold, and Re-Start.
- Fanuc Licensed Software -- Each of RobotWorx' FANUC robots is fully supported with legal software and manufacturer software support.
- Free Training -- RobotWorx provided free training to the customer at its Marion facility. Training covered robot programming, safety features, and basic maintenance.
- Complete Warranty -- System came with one-year warranty covering all parts and labor.