Many customers want a flexible robotic system that will allow them to transition easily from one application to another.
This particular tile manufacturing company needed their robotic solution to provide for both present and future requirements. While the system was initially set up to de-palletize vertically arranged tiles, the company had plans to use the same robot for cutting, drilling, and other material handling jobs further down the road.
One of the advantages of robotic automation is its inherent flexibility. Changing applications can be as simple as switching tooling. Still, a lot of brainstorming and planning goes into selecting the robot and the configuration that will best accommodate all application goals. For instance, one of the items the tile company hoped to incorporate later on was a robotic vision system. RobotWorx' integration and sales staff discussed various vision options and integrated cabling so that robotic vision equipment could be integrated in the future.
- Multipurpose Robot: The final robotic solution had to match application criteria for not one but multiple applications. It needed to provide the appropriate reach, payload, and dexterity.
- Tooling: Once the right robot was selected, it must be outfitted with the right tooling (a gripper) to handle slate as large as 12" x 6".
- Distance Sensor: Depalletizing, the first application to be automated, required the robot to calculate distance.
- Affordability: Keeping costs low without compromising performance quality was extremely important for this customer. RobotWorx was able to meet all application needs with a fully reconditioned robot.
RobotWorx Solution Details:
- Robotic Arm: RobotWorx outfitted the tile depalletizing system with a reconditioned Motoman UP50 XRC robot. This multipurpose robotic arm offers a generous 2046mm horizontal reach and 50kg payload capacity, both features which provide Reconditioned robots offer savings of 40-60% while providing reliable performance capabilities.
- Steel Riser: RobotWorx elevated the UP50 robotic arm with a steel pedestal to allow for easy depalletizing of the vertically stacked tiles. The pedestal further expanded the UP50's work envelope and paved the way for future uses.
- Keyence Laser Scanner: A Keyence IL100 range sensor head and cabling was integrated with the robot and XRC controller. This component was necessary to judge distances from various tiles.
- Robotic Gripper: RobotWorx built and integrated a custom vacuum gripper to depalletize the tiles. This robotic vacuum gripper was constructed with three rectangular cups each equipped with foam pads to provide a secure seal when gripping the tiles. All sensors for pick and place were integrated with the robotic controller and RobotWorx made sure the gripper could handle individual tiles as large as 12" x 6".
- Support: The system is RobotWorx provided free training at its Marion, Ohio facility. The system is protected with a one year warranty covering service and parts.