Robot Equipment Maintenance
The use of robots have brought many benefits to manufacturers, but in order for them to continue seeing those benefits a robot equipment maintenance program must be implemented. The most common form of a robot maintenance program is preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is the planned maintenance of facilities and equipment, designed to eliminate unexpected breakdowns and increase the life span of robots. These programs are critical for the performance of a robot to remain reliable.
What is preventive maintenance?
- Preventive maintenance involves expanding the life of robotic equipment through painting, lubrication, cleaning, adjusting, and minor part replacements.
- It uses testing, periodic inspections, and preplanned maintenance activities in order to correct or prevent any problems that may arise.
- The main purpose is to keep breakdowns and decline to a minimum.
Advantages of Robotic Maintenance
- Most robots breakdown as a result of wear and tear, but preventive maintenance prevents this from happening for several years.
- With the prevention of breakdowns manufacturers’ productivity and quality are increased.
- Costs are reduced through preservation of assets; meaning that robotic equipment lasts longer eliminating the spending of money to replace it year after year.
- It also has the potential to produce greater ROI. With an increased life span, robots prove to be well worth the investment for manufacturers.
Implementing Preventive Maintenance
- In order to have a successful preventive maintenance program it is important to execute a strict schedule with aggressive monitoring.
- The program should focus on cleaning, lubrication, and fixing any problems found during inspections.
- It is also critical to implement maintenance training amongst employees because warranties are limited. Having your own service personnel allows for quick repair time.
When to Implement Preventive Maintenance Plans
These are the top reasons for implementing a preventive maintenance program. If your company has or is experiencing any of these then it may be time to start your own robotic maintenance program.
- Increased automation
- Production delays resulting in lost business
- Decreased insurance inventories
- Need for high quality products
- Excessive consumption of energy
- Disorganized working environment
- Slow manufacturing time
For more information or a quote contact RobotWorx at 740-251-4312